Friday 1 February 2013

Tantangan KBB # 32 - Rockin' Rolls


Happy New Year 2013...

First Challenge in 2013. Baking Japanese Roll Cake. 

As we know, Japanese known as people who always do extra miles in anything including baking. Basically, this roll same like swiss roll but with extra touch by adding a pattern on the top of the roll. 
First person who introduce this japanese roll cake is JUNKO -  you can read her book review here .

The recipe that I use taken from the KBB#32 Rockin' Rolls invite posted on KBB Facebook Group. 
And of course with an adjustment to suit my pattern. The pattern I've choose for this challenge is ANGRY BIRD - since my son love Angry Bird :)

Recipe as below:
Ingredients:

1st Batter
- 4 Eggs yolk
- 40gr Sugar
- 40cc Cooking Oil
- 60cc Water
- 80gr Flour

Batter for a pattern
- 60gr Eggs white
- 15gr Sugar
- 10gr Corn Flour

2nd Batter      
- 160 -175gr Eggs white
- 0.5gr Salt
- 50gr Sugar
- 1tsp Lime juice - I use Lemon Juice due to no lime at home
- 15gr Corn Flour

Filling
- Fresh cream
- Sugar
- Strawberry

Directions:
  
  1. Mix Eggs yolk & sugar till its thick. Keep mixing with a medium speed, pour in cooking oil until mixed well, then pour in water bit by bit. 
  2.  Then add up flour while mixing it at the same time. Once it's mixed well & thick, put aside 
  3. Now we are going to make a batter for a pattern. Mix eggs white & Sugar until puffy. Add up corn flour mixing together with a medium speed until become soft peak.
  4. We need to know how many colours we are going to use to create the pattern, for my Angry Bird pattern, I need 4 Colours - Red, Black, yellow & pink. I take about 5spoons of 1st batter then mix with batter for a pattern, then divided batter into 4 small bowls.
  5. Put the pattern in a baking tin. - I drew pattern on the baking paper that I'm going to use to line the baking tin.  Then, with a toothpick, i started put the colours into my pattern. First black colours applied to frame the red-bird face, then I put it in the oven for 2mins until its become hard - another alternative to shorten the waiting time for the colours to be set. Next step red colours applied, again I put it in the oven for 2mins. Yellow applied same process but only stay in the oven for less than a minute due to only small spot coloured  & last is pink colour. 
  6. Once all the colours set, put aside
  7.  Now we are working on 2nd Batter. Mix Eggs white & sugar until its thick then add a lemon juice mix in a medium speed, add up corn flour until soft peak formed.
  8. Once its ready, pour in a remaining 1st batter into 2nd batter, mixed well with spatula. 
  9. Pour the batter into the baking tin that already have a coloured pattern on. Tap the baking tin to make sure that the batter evenly distributed.
  10. Put it in the oven for 20-25 mins in 165degree celcius heat or until it's baked nicely.
  11. Once cake turning brown, get the cake out from the tin, carefully peel the baking paper - this is the tricky bit, I think I need more practice to peel it. My first attempt, the surface is not really smooth because some of the cake stick onto the baking paper :(  Let it cool.
  12. Making filling, Mixed fresh cream & sugar until soft peak. Cut strawberry into small piece. Put aside
  13.  It's time to put the filling into the cake.Lay a baking paper bigger then the cake size, then put the cake on top it, make sure the brown bit facing up. Then spread the cream evenly. Put the strawberry in the middle. Roll the cake nicely. Wrap in cling wrap. Put it in the freezer for 15mins to make it more firm. It's ready to served - don't forget to cut it into small bite piece :)

My son insist to help me - lucky me, having my own little helper :)

And now I presented Japanese Roll Cake - Red Angry Bird


 Enjoy !!....




No comments:

Post a Comment